I no longer have a useless black Canon Selphy CP800 brick next to my Mac

At long bl**dy last – CP800 Lion drivers are now available!  There is an update to this article below…

Regular readers to my blog will know that I am a Canon fan – well, when it comes to cameras anyway.  Canon cameras are fantastic, and I wouldn’t want to use anything else.

It seems however, that there are a bunch of absolute buffoons looking after things in Canon’s printer division.

My expensive paperweight.

My Expensive Paperweight

You see, I have a Canon Selphy CP800 printer which, apparently, works fine on Windows and on earlier versions of the Apple Mac operating system.  When Apple released their new operating system, Lion, in July 2011, most of the peripheral manufacturers either had their new drivers immediately ready for their devices, or they were available very shortly thereafter.

Not Canon.  Incredibly, there is still no sign of a driver being released – after more than six months!!  There must be a number of consumers who have an Apple computer with the Lion operating system, who have bought this printer expecting to use it.

I bought my CP800 printer a few weeks before the OS upgrade to Lion, and found that I now have a black Canon brick being used as a rather expensive paperweight.

Now, I didn’t use this printer that often, but it was useful for the occasional 6″x4″ printing job for when I didn’t have a larger order to send off to the printing lab.  (Tech stuff: It is a dye-sublimation printer and makes good quality, long lasting prints – better quality than an inkjet printer, although more expensive to produce.)

If I had known that this was going to happen, I would never have bought the thing in the first place.

Come on Canon – you are treating some of your consumers disgracefully, and at least one of them is feeling ripped off !

Rant over.

UPDATE: 17th Feb 2012.  I was delighted to find that my Mac told me that there were printer updates from Canon. “At last“, I thought, “I can now make use of my black brick“. I plugged it into the USB port; the MacBook recognised the printer – but there’s STILL NO DRIVER for the CP800.  There are geeks on the internet who have managed to get this installed by doing strange things to their Macs – so it can be done. I am not that much of a geek. I just want to use a printer I have bought, that Canon is still actively marketing, on an operating system that has a growing share of the market.  Canon, – you are bloody useless!

UPDATE: 22nd March 2012.  Hooray! A date to put in your diaries, folks! I’ve just downloaded the CP800 drivers on the Canon website, and my useless black brick is now working on my MacBook Pro under OSX Lion!  Only 9 months late. Some might say ‘better late than never’ but how about ‘better never late’?  Hopefully, the lesson has been learned.

Now, the question is, do I remove this blog entry, or leave it like a millstone around Canon’s neck?  What do you think?

If you found this rant to be useful, could you click some of the social media buttons below to spread the word? Thanks!

This entry was posted in Computers, Photography.

10 Comments

1. Geoff June 13, 2015 at 11:15 pm #

Hi Kate,

Thanks for your comment. I can understand your frustration, however I’m afraid that I binned my Selphy printer a while back. It was just so unreliable; the paper feed was so intermittent – it was driving me nuts. Also, whenever OS X was updated, Canon took so long to upgrade the driver to suit.

With your USB stick, I’m guessing it may be that the Selphy cannot read it if has not been formatted with (the very old fashioned) FAT32 format; it is likely that your Air has formatted it in an Apple format. This might help:

Sorry I couldn’t help further.

2. kate Harwood June 13, 2015 at 8:08 pm #

Very grateful you didn’t delete your blog.

Can you help? I used to be able to use my Selphy but haven’t wanted to print off for 3 years or so. It used to work ok via USB drive but I’ve just transferred some photos onto a USB drive from my MacBook Air running MacOSX Yosemite but the Selphy doesn’t seem to realise there are pics on the USB drive. Is this a Canon drive upgrade problem?

Not very tech-y but can you help?

3. C.Aubrey February 20, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

Just as the update for Lion came in, I bought a new Mac and this operates with OSX10.8 so I STILL cannot use my Selphy CP800. This is infuriating. Canon – when are you going to catch up?!

4. Eileen September 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Have just bought a Selphy CP800 for use with macbook Pro with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). I am experiencing major problems installing a driver, dmg opens up Terminal which means nothing to me at all. Please help asap as my disabled son likes to print off his collection of photos he has taken.

5. becky September 7, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

thank you for this post.. i almost choke myself for getting selphy for my mac.. :'( im about to curse canon.. hahahaha

6. Cris June 25, 2012 at 1:33 am #

Well the canon driver works for a directly connected CP800, but I cannot get it to work if the CP800 is attached to a WinXP machine and shared. The Mac printer driver queue reports a nice cryptic “error.”

Shouldn’t sharing a printer be easy?

7. Vim4u May 5, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

YAY! Thank you for this! Works better than before. How col is that !!!

8. Ron Bardier March 22, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

Thanks for keeping in touch with me on the Canon Selphy 800 issue.It takes guys like you to bring awareness and change to companies that betray their loyal customers. I’m hoping everything is resolved with the MAC OSX 10.7 drivers.

9. PING March 22, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

Check today, Mar 22, 2012 on Canon website for this Selphy CP800 and they have driver for Mac OS 10.7. So i’m going to try and install that tonight and see if it works. Just want to let anyone know.

10. Ronald Bardier March 4, 2012 at 3:34 am #

Have to agree with the consumer this time around since I’m one. The Canon SELPHY CP800 is the equivalent of a black plastic paper weight, when Canon doesn’t provide the drivers for MAC OSX. Should have bought the Epson Compact Printer! My Photo Booth would be working!